Sunday, October 14, 2012

I Cachi

Cachi (kah-key) or "Japanese Persimmons" are a popular fall fruit in Sicily (though you can hardly consider daily temperatures of 25 degrees C as your typical autumn weather... Even the Sicilians are starting to get tired of the heat).

To me they look like psychedelic tomatoes, more of a florescent pinkish orange rather than red. The taste isn't bad either... but I just can't get past the texture.


The traditional, educated, way to eat a cachi is to slice it in half and scoop out the Jello-like interior with a spoon. 

That's right, I said Jello.

If Bill Cosby had to endorse a fruit, this would be it.

It's just too weird for me though. Gelatin that imitates fruit flavors I can understand, but a fruit that imitates gelatin? No thanks.

Then there's the name: "Cachi".

Which to me sounds just a little too close to another Italian word: "Cacca"

Fratello, on the other hand, loves them. And takes particular pleasure in slurping them noisily in front of me while I gag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...